dadrThe Government's data retention scheme looks set to pass the Senate this week with Labor's support.

This scheme is rushed, costly, ineffective, and against the public interest. Also, absurdly, the flawed legislation leaves open numerous loopholes, which can be used to evade the scheme. This means the data retention dragnet will capture the data of innocent Australians and cost millions of dollars, while allowing those who don't want to be caught to remain hidden.

On Wednesday 25 March, Australians are planning an online protest against data retention to show just how ineffective the invasive scheme will be.

How do I go dark?

1. Change your profile picture on Facebook and Twitter to let your friends know you're going dark. Click here to download the profile picture.

2. Use the hashtag #DarkAgainstData to tweet your opposition to the bill.

3. For more information, and to sign the pledge to go dark, please visit GetUp's landing page.

1. I emailed my Labor federal MP about my opposition to data retention. I didn't even receive a reply. Only 3 politicians voted against this bill. 2 independents and 1 Greens MP.

A more effective way of "Going dark" would be to encourage widespread use of a VPN to encrypt your internet usage and have your endpoint in a country that respects the privacy of its citizens and doesn't keep "metadata". Leave the government to examine your "metadata" consisting solely of your encrypted connection to an offshore VPN. There are thousands of services out there.

This is a shameful time in our history. We'll never wash out the stain.

Comment by Zeke on 25 March 2015 at 10:05
  2. Well thats a nice idea Zeke, but a more effective solution is to NEVER ever vote for either Labour party or Liberal party.
    And I mena never ever. These two parties have been destroying our rights and lives for over a decade now. The don't listen to the voters any more, only to their $upport$. And worse of all, their parties have private meetings that no part of is ever made public, so we as voters don't even know what they are up to, so there is no transparency which is how Australia is spose to be.
    If all australians who are feed up with this way of governance and voted away from Labour and Liberal parties, then we the citizen of Australia would regain control of our country, lives, privacy and destiny.
    It is really that simple.
    -Fred

Comment by Fred on 28 March 2015 at 09:36
  3. Yes Fred, I NEVER vote for Liberal or Labor. I not only vote for the Greens but hand out how-to-vote forms for the Greens at every election. I also do pamphlet drops for the Greens. Did you notice Adam Bandt (Greens) and 2 independents were the only HoR members who voted against this fascist government mass surveillance bill?

I've just bought a subscription to a VPN service with an endpoint in Switzerland. I'm going "dark" as far as the Australian government is concerned.

Comment by Zeke on 28 March 2015 at 14:42
  4. Many people who are concerned need practical help in how to go dark so I have started a blog at http://craigswebs.com to that end. Looking for writers to write "recipes" to help people who haven't got a clue.

Comment by Craig on 31 March 2015 at 20:25
  5. The data retention move has convinced me of how utterly undemocratic the major parties have become. The chance of gaining this much intrusion into citizens person space is too much for them to resist, even though they know we can see through their ridiculous arguments. Claiming that they are only doing the equivalent of noting the address of an envelope but not the contents insults our intelligence. Why would police be so eager to have such useless information? It's obviously far more detailed than that which is why Senator Brandis is just so vague about what "meta data" is. Most journalists should hang their heads in shame too - being bought off with some special provisions to protect their sources - they suddenly have nothing to say about data retention. Oh, I'm allright Jack.

The time has never been better for some of the minor parties and independents to gather up disaffected ex Labor and Liberal voters looking for candidates who remember who employs them.

Comment by Deano on 2 April 2015 at 23:21
  6. #DarkAgainstData .. I'm actually shocked that I did not know anything about this until today. There is also hardly any information online regarding fighting it and protesting.

It will be a sad day when the government has control over our internet content.

I wont be voting for labor or liberal either.

Comment by Roza on 7 April 2015 at 22:33
  7. It wont be long and the government will be censoring websites like this one .. The internet is the only place left where people have freedom of speech... But not for much longer ..

Comment by darren on 4 July 2015 at 15:33