Electronic Frontiers Australia is appearing before Senate committee on online privacy tomorrow.
What are your concerns about online privacy? Leave your feedback in the comments below.
Feedback from Twitter and Facebook:
- NewtonMark Mark Newton - @efa_oz The AG's #ozlog initiatives would be a good place to start.
- mwyres Michael Wyres - @NewtonMark @efa_oz Agreed - #ozlog definitely the most obvious issue...
- Jay Stephens - 1. Concern that any rules mandating data retention will lead to my private data gathered by ISPs (for compliance) being held in tape backup or similar scattered around 3rd party locations, and possibly colocated outside Australia. 2. Concern that regulation of data sharing by companies will become weaker over time, allowing companies to effectively trade freely in any private data about me or my online behaviours that any of them may have gathered over time, including data being gathered and stored right now. 3. Expansion of the permissibility of the "selectable output control" concept ( http://a.gd/ed65b6 ) so that more and more of the hardware in my lounge at home has functionality that is remotely activated/controlled by ISPs, content delivery concerns, and other 3rd parties without my knowledge.
- Travis Draper My concern is that demanding privacy has become an admission of guilt.
- Thaao Crew privacy online? like there was any to begin with lol but its within a tolorable amount but all the new contoversys >.> its gonna get worse its like terrorists planning somthing on a mobile phone lol could it be stoped if its heard the short answer is no especaly if you talk in cryptic ways
- nightkhaos NightKhaos - commented on the post. ACTA, iiNet vs AFACT and data-retention are my concerns.
- Stu__H Stuart Hargreaves - @efa_oz #ozlog, #acta, #openinternet and #iitrial all have obvious privacy implications.
- bookbuster Amy Hightower - @efa_oz #ozlog #acta and #nocleanfeed are the big three. The#iitrial probably also merits a mention.
- Brad Matthews I am concerned by anything dealt with by this incompetent government. More to the point, gathering online data about specific people carried out by the government (or anyone else) is completely fucked.
- LiamPomfret Liam Pomfret - @efa_oz Concerned about underinformed consumers who don't understand all the implications of sharing their info and conversations.
- craigthomler CraigThomler - @efa_oz Concerns about Privacy: That corporations are asking us to give it up so they can look in our pockets for 'pirated' goods.
- craigthomler CraigThomler - @efa_oz Concerns about Privacy: That governments are asking us to give it up so they can protect us from night terrors
- craigthomler CraigThomler - @efa_oz Concerns about Privacy: And that people have unrealistic expectations about privacy - we demand personal service but refuse access.
- golgy Leif - @efa_oz Concerns about Privacy: Data Security. Who's to say my data stored by anyone is truly safe. What is my data, what is it used for.
- 13tales Tom Armstrong - @efa_oz Concerned by erosion of the means for digital privacy by gov & cops, who also don't protect us from exploit of our p.data by corps
- LiamPomfret Liam Pomfret - @efa_oz Concerned that "protecting children" is being used as an argument to convince voters that erosion of privacy is a good thing.
- digitalchris digital chris - Concerns about privacy: is there a nondisclosure list citizens can join - prevent collected incidental data from being used @efa_oz
- DokterW Dr. W - @efa_oz My concern about privacy are those who think you are hiding criminal activities if you don't share you life willingly and openly.
- damonreece Damon Reece - Concerned that the majority of the population is being punished for the actions of a very, very small minority.
- Kronaz Nic - @efa_oz that govts are not content with their lack of control and will continue to try and undermine users security and privacy.
- thecinemascene thecinemascene - @efa_oz My concern about privacy is the fact that governments from both sides' complete lack of action to create much stronger laws
- RantRotAndRuin Rant, Rot and Ruin - @efa_oz Why should I trust my government to monitor my communications when it doesn't trust me enough to tell me why?#ozlog