Just 24 hours after the Time To Tell Mum campaign has launched it can be declared a massive success. Everywhere you look there is evidence that this is one of the most impactful initiatives we've ever undertaken, with over 14,000 people telling their mums that Internet censorship is bad so far. We know from recent research this means 14,000 fewer supporters of the proposal.

The campaign has been covered in The Australian, ITWire, iT News, ZDnet, Gizmodo and other outlets, bloggers have blogged, the announcement was an #openinternet "Top Tweet", hundreds of Facebook users have shared and liked the site and in a one hour radio show this morning the campaign was discussed on Dr Katherine Albrecht's radio show and syndicated across the entire United States, and around the globe online.

We're back to working on the next steps, but I'd like to personally thank everyone for their support.  From Fnuky Advertising in Adelaide to the guy who donated $3 to the Open Internet drive, we've had a heap of assistance to get this launched.

1. Congratulations on continuing to engage people in this debate.

However, was it really necessary to be so condescending to mothers? I don't know a single mother who supports the filter - including myself and my mother. Many mothers have been speaking out about this for a long time, and the assumption that mothers aren't interested in looking at the issues for themselves is rather insulting to the large number of them who have campaigned actively for months against the filter.

Comment by Ariane on 29 May 2010 at 11:41 pm
  2. @ariane IMHO you're perhaps missing the point and being overly sensitive, it values the social 'connector' role of mothers and is a specific caricature of a specific type of Mom. Tongue in cheek, not an attack at your specific role, identity or capacity :(

@efa_oz It’s beautiful as it echoes the US 5 friends vote campaign.

First: http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=AU&hl=en-GB&a...

and

Second: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX40RsSLwF4

Kudos guys, great work. We tried and failed somewhat by focusing on tech and the wrong demographic with http://nodecity.com/empower against the censorship.

I take my hat off to you. Great execution, delivery and encapsulation of the message for a targeted demographic.

D.

Comment by Donal on 30 May 2010 at 4:44 am
  3. This campaign is unbelievably sexist. I am sure it would have been possible to deliver the same message without implying that (a) women don't understand technology and (b) only women and not men are interested in protecting children.

Comment by Katie on 30 May 2010 at 8:48 am
  4. I suppose many of the people here haven't heard the old "I'm telling my mum on you!"

Comment by Dane on 30 May 2010 at 9:32 am
  5. Why couldn't the campaign have been called "go tell mum and dad"?

You've mentioned parents in your description of the aims of the campaign, and then left out dads. Don't dads need to know too?

Or are you assuming that mums don't know already? I'm a mum and I explained it to my kids. I heard about it from other mums.

Please don't assume that motherhood removes my ability to keep up to date with computers, or censorship, or internet "safety".

Comment by Karen on 30 May 2010 at 8:38 pm
  6. I did tell my mum. I told her that EFF Australia might be at the cutting edge of internet freedoms but are pretty much back in the 1950's kitchen when it comes to anything else. Good grief, EFF. What were you thinking?

Surely you've got more recent research on women and technology? Would it have been so hard, as suggested above, to have added 'and dad'.

Comment by Robin on 31 May 2010 at 1:10 am
  7. How about a mug of overly pretentious with your internet filter? Because that is all you will be left with if you spend your whole time judging, condemning and in-fighting with the very people who are working with you to try and get rid of this filter.

For the love of God, the campaign wasn't "go into the kitchen, unchain your mother from the stove and tell her about the internet and why censoring it is bad." Will fighting over semantics and wasting time making sure everything is 100% politically correct do anything to stop the filter? If the answer is yes, put down the keyboard, please.

Comment by Ethan on 31 May 2010 at 2:22 am
  8. I agree with the women. Patronize all of us equally, please.

Comment by Michael on 31 May 2010 at 4:52 am
  9. @Donal: No, I didn't miss the point. I see the point and I understand the synergy with Conroy's campaign. I just don't understand why it couldn't have been tweaked enough to have a few simple recognitions that this is aimed at those who currently support the damn filter. Things like "If your mum support's Conroy's filter" and NOT things like "Your mum isn't interested in looking it up herself". I'm not only discussing myself, I'm discussing every mother I know. I'm not part of some educated elite minority, I'm pretty much among your bog standard mums.

And I'm not infighting, I support the fact that EFA is trying to engage as many people as possible in the discussion. Is all constructive criticism some devastating attack?

Comment by Ariane on 31 May 2010 at 10:41 am
  10. The naming of this campaign is just awful. The fact that the EFA can't just admit it screwed up the naming, fix it, and move on says terrible things about the organisation. Fix it, rather than firing ill-considered vitriol on those calling you out for your blatant sexism.

Comment by Grahame on 31 May 2010 at 12:57 pm